Garbage & Recycling
The Village of Empress has regular residential and commercial garbage pick up once a week on Wednesday mornings.
Normal pick up is up to 4 garbage bags a week that each do not weigh more than 30 pounds (13.6 kg). For details on garbage pick up more than that, see our Garbage rates.
Tires, Scrap Metal, Appliances, unpainted/untreated wood products
Bring to the Waste Transfer Site, separating the types, and put them where the attendant directs.
Paper & Cardboard
Oyen has separate bins for paper and cardboard only. Separate your materials by these two categories, and place them into the proper bins. If improper materials are in these bins, the bins could be taken away!
Location: Behind (north) the Midtown Inn. Google Map. When you turn into Oyen from Highway 41, take the first right, and you will see the bins on the left.
Plastic 1-7, Glass, Aluminim & Tin, Newspaper, Mixed paper, and Cardboard
Medicine Hat has three locations with recycling bins:
– South: Medicine Hat Mall (west side of mall), 3292 Dunmore Road SE, Google Map
– Mid-city: 240 Kipling St SE, Google Map
– North: 20 Northlands Way NE, Google Map
Batteries & Printer cartridges
Medicine Hat Best Buy: 3292 Dunmore Rd SE Unit 600, Google Map
Food & Yard Waste
Your, or your friend’s compost pile!
Sigh. We do not know where you can these right now.
Household Hazardous Waste
Toxic, flammable, corrosive, and reactive products generated from households, including paint.
There is yearly event in Oyen where you can drop off these materials at the Oyen Town Shop, usually in the autumn or early winter.
Waste Transfer Site
The Village of Empress is a member of the Big Country Waste Management and has a waste transfer site located just west of the Village on Highway 899.
|Hours of operation:|
|Tuesday||1:00 pm – 5:00 pm|
|Thursday||1:00 pm – 5:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am – 2:00 pm|
Guidelines for Visiting Your Waste Transfer Station
As per Big Country Waste Management Commission: Waste Transfer Stations.
- Do not place garbage at front of site
- No hazardous waste
asbestos, bio-medical waste, chemicals, etc. as defined in the Act are strictly prohibited
- No burning barrels or residues
- No dead animals
- No motor oil, undrained filters, or cooking oil
- No pesticide containers
empty boxes only
- No deep freezers, air conditioners or refrigerators or any white goods
- No batteries
- NO ASPHALT SHINGLES
must be taken to Youngstown Landfill Site
- No loads of dirt, waste, gravel, concrete or rocks, sewage, sludge or grain dust
- No jugs, containers or barrels with any substance in them
- No smoking on site
- No loads of wood and demolition materials, (concrete and shingles in particular)
- Four feet maximum length
small amounts only! No pallets or pieces of demolition larger than 4 feet by 2 feet.
- NO tires in site ALL TIRES must be taken to Consort, Oyen, Youngstown or Hanna recycling areas.
- Silage plastic should be tied in a large knot
- Wire fencing – wire that is rolled and tied and no larger than 2 feet in diameter and in quantities not exceeding four rolls may be accepted
- Transfer stations are not designed to accept loads from large dump trucks or trailers
- All loose, blowable material must be bagged before disposal at transfer station or landfill
- Gates must be CLOSED
For more information contact the Landfill Manager at 403-779-3890.
Hosted by Gaslamp Village Media Inc.